Sunday, February 26, 2012

chipotle & ruth's chris steakhouse: food allergy-friendly eats

yesterday i tested myself and went out for two meals. when i go out, have two fears: one, having a reaction, and two, not having anyone who's with me that knows what to do in that situation. and i tested both of those yesterday.

for lunch, i went to chipotle with a very good friend of mine. according to chipotle's website, they use no nuts or peanuts in any of their food. therefore, the risk of cross-contamination is incredibly minimal. but my pessimistic and paranoid mind goes to the workers. did someone on the line have a snickers bar during their break? having food allergies makes life incredibly stressful! but i ordered chicken with fresh tomato salsa. thoughts kept running through my mind. my friend doesn't know what to do if i have a reaction. we're not very cloes to a hospital. i just pressed forward. i'm happy to say that i made it through lunch without an issue. thanks, chipotle for being so accommodating to those of us with special issues!

several hours later, my husband & i went to ruth's chris steakhouse for dinner with friends. ruth's chris has been accommodating in the past, so long as you call ahead, speak to the manager & let him/her know when you're coming in and what food allergies you have. they make a note & are sure to inform your server & the kitchen upon your arrival. i always pull my server aside when he/she first comes to the table & ask if he understands my situation. i have never had a problem with their steak, potatoes or soup. they do not fry in peanut oil, like flemings or the palm, and they make everything (including their desserts) in-house. hello, creme brulee! ruth's chris is an incredibly smart choice for food allergy-friendly high-class dining.

i know a lot of you out there struggle like i do & don't want to go out to eat at all. but let me tell you, if i can handle these two places, i know you can. a lot of the time, it's just mind over matter. but it's always nice to have some support on your side, and some insight from people who have the same issues as you do!

cheers,
AnxiousAllergyGirl

1 comment:

  1. my office is holding our holiday party at Ruth's Chris in Boston, I'm not going because my shellfish allergy has gotten really bad in recent years, but it's good to know that if I wanted to do dinner there (the party is just apps and cocktails) I'd be safe with my peanut allergy!

    ReplyDelete